Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cross-Blog pollination

I have commented before on the criticism of author of Fiasco and Wapo reporter, Tom Ricks. Ttoday I find this in the Comments section on Brad DeLong's blog. Billmon has posted a comment about criticism of his bashing of Ricks. (For examples of what we're talking about see Billmon and Brad.) I delight in these guys.

Tom Ricks: "I asked one officer, 'Why are you talking to me about these things?' And he looked down at his hands, and he said, 'Because I have the blood of American troops on my hands.'"

Ricks, and his newspaper, do too -- only they won't admit it.

"The Brad and Billmon approach has been to remind the reformed of their past misdeads. This does not creat useful incentives"

Speaking only for myself, I'm not out to create incentives. I'm out to expose these people for the fools and shills they really are. And the fact that Ricks has now written a book admitting his 2003 and early 2004 reporting was almost completely wrong definitely is hardly proof to the contrary. Sixty percent of the American people already KNOW the war is a fiasco, and you don't get brownie points for wanting to be on the side that's winning.

I don't want to reform Ricks and the Post. I want to discredit them, to the extent that a puny blogger can. If I could I would destroy them -- fire the entire staff, break up the presses and sell them for scrap. It would be putting them to much better use.

Like the New York Times, the Post is now simply a house organ of the War Party (lady's auxiliary.) Why would I want to "incentivize" that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Cara A. Valente-Compton said...

Hey, speaking of Tom Ricks did you see him on The Daily Show?

1:14 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Yes, he seemed quite reasonable. Tho' I've often said that it's easy to do a good interview; it's harder to be a good candidate.

But Billmon's point is that Ricks is saying now that it was obvious then that it was going to be a Fiasco, yet, then, he was hyping the war like those he criticizes now.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home