Wednesday, September 20, 2006

October Surprises

I was struck by something GWB is quoted as having said to his right-wing friend from the Weekly Standard, Fred Barnes, during their cozy interview: " In the midterm election on November 7, Bush predicted Democrats won't win either the House or the Senate."

Am I the only one who thought that Bush might (perhaps inadvertently)have hinted at some inside info about an October surprise? The most likely one, in my mind, is Diebold rigging of voting machines (here's a recent story and here's a taste from 2003). The fact that this isn't being addressed is surprising and disappointing because this is an obvious way for BushCo to ensure that they retain control of Congress.

Another likely surprise would be the timely revelation of Osama bin Laden's capture or death. After year's of refusing to even mention his name, GWB has been referring to him and even quoting him at length in almost every speech.

I really hope that this one is unlikely but all this talk about Iran (exactly the same kind of talk as about Iraq) can't help but make me think they would try that old play once again.

In a month and a half, I'll be able to go back and read this and see if I was right or how I was wrong. If it's the latter, I hope that it's because there wasn't an October Surprise. I'm a little under the weather and find myself a little Pollyanna-ish -- I can't help hoping for a happy ending.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

Interesting. There was a report today that Karl Rove is telling Republicans there will be an October Surprise...

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home