Saturday, November 11, 2006

Maybe it ain't so, Joe.

I've been thinking that the Lieberman situation may not be as bad as I had feared because the early writing on the wall seems to indicate that in 2008 the Senate will still be held by the Dem (most likely by a larger margin) so it's less likely that Joe would jump to the Republican side for the short term (in the life of a senator) gain the it would provide. It would probably also be the kiss of death for him at the end of his term. So, I've talked myself into feeling better about this. And then I read this from Steve Gilliard which makes me feel even better right now.
I know it's hard for people to see the benefit in Lieberman returning to the Senate, but there was one.

Mike Bloomberg led Republicans in sending the Lieberman campaign $20m dollars. The WH opened their wallets to Joe and he took their money.

One problem, Jim Talent needed it more. So did George Allen, Michael Steele and Conrad Burns. Every dime the GOP sent to Lieberman went to reelect a man who votes with the Dems most of the time, while denying the most loyal Republicans needed funds.

We probably hold the Senate today because the GOP felt the need to lavishly support Lieberman. Money is finite. Every dime taken up by Lieberman was unavailable to other Republicans in tight races.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

I think Republicans understood that if Democrats were able to run the table in the Senate as they did, that a Lieberman victory would be a last ditch effort to swing things their way.

I would like to take this news as encouraging, but I'm not so sure. If Lieberman was set on it, I think he would switch parties no matter what.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home