Tuesday, June 20, 2006

US plans for Iraq

From Josh Marshall:

"President Bush thinks we should stay in Iraq forever, as far as the eye can see. He's said it himself. He says, 'Getting out of Iraq is up to presidents who come after me.' I don't agree. That's too long. I don't know if we'll be able to get our troops out of Iraq in 6 months or even a year. But I want to start working on getting them home as soon as I get into office. And staying in Iraq for at least three more years, like President Bush wants, is too long.

My opponent is with President Bush on this. More of a blank check. I disagree.

We've got too many challenges around the world to keep burning through money and our men and women in uniform just because President Bush can't admit that his policies aren't working."

Who said that?

Actually, no one has, as far as I know. But why can't someone?

Hoppy in Sacramento in commnets at TPMcafe says:
We, including myself, do seem to forget that there is a vast difference between a war and an occupation. There could have been a valid reason for the "war" that we waged to get rid of Saddam as ruler of Iraq, although I don't think there was. But, that has been accomplished, and what is happening in Iraq now is purely an occupation of Iraq by foreign troops. We clearly "won" the war. No one ever wins an occupation - there isn't even any way to define a victory in an occupation. Our occupation of Iraq has no goal that I can even conceive of. Surely no one is in favor of setting up Iraq as an American colony? Assuming that to be the case, even though the Bush administration clearly does intend to set up Iraq as an American colony, there is nothing for our troops to do there, but to be targets or killers. It is time to accept our victory in the "war" and end the occupation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home