Thursday, June 22, 2006

More of the same...

Josh Marshall doesn't think that more of the same is very attractive.

I'm a bit confused. I'm hearing a lot of reports about Republicans chanting about staying in Iraq forever, the danger of ever withdrawing our troops. There's Cheney. There's Frist. I can't say I've done a systematic scan of all media. I'm just saying what I've happened across during a day of work. And I'm not seeing any Dems. Not hearing any clear message.

What Republicans want is More of the Same.

That's the motto. More of the Same.

The president says he wants to stay in Iraq for at least three more years. Virtually every Republican agrees. Three more years. They approve the course the president has set.

They're for More of the Same. They don't have a plan. They just want to stay indefinitely.

They're just for More of the Same.

I must say it drives me to distraction that Democrats aren't saying this more clearly. Get on TV. Get on the radio. Why cede all the ground to the likes of Dick Cheney?

Late Update: Sherrod gets it.

Taylor Marsh at FDL repeats the point that Bush has already said that he won't take the troups out -- that's for "future presidents".

REPORTER: Will there come a day, and I’m not asking you when — I’m not asking for a timetable — will there come a day when there will be no more American forces in Iraq?

BUSH: That, of course, is an objective, and that will be decided by future presidents and future governments of Iraq.

Al Franken Show on Air America (quote replayed today)

If you want out of Iraq before 2010, you better vote for Democrats in November.

I can’t say it any plainer than that, because even the Levin-Reed non-binding amendment demanded a change of course on Iraq. Democrats are united on that fact, so now’s not the time to be silent.

The Republicans had no debate. They voted in a block, like the good little rubber stamp Republicans they are, afraid to voice dissent in public. Or is it that they don’t have an original thought in their heads on how to get out of Iraq? One thing is certain, their talking points all sound the same. Stay the course. Stay the course. Stay the course! Oh, unless you’re listening to Silly Ricky Santorum, who’s scraping the bottom of the WMD barrel, in order to save his sorry Senate seat. The wingnuts are all on board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home