Thursday, March 16, 2006

More "do the right thing"

I regularly use this little test to determine if I'm doing the right thing. I imagine myself on my death-bed, reflecting back on my life and I ask myself: would I feel proud of what I did back then i.e. now? How many times have we admonished ourselves thusly? Oh, I wish I had(n't) said/done that. In other words, is this what I will wish I had done?

Surely, those Democrats who are dithering about the censure issue must remember how they felt during the campaign in 2004 when they wished that they hadn't, in their moment of weakness, fear and uncertainty, voted for the war in Iraq. Don't these people learn? More than likely, when the final chapter of George W. Bush is written, he will be considered the way Nixon is: a pathetic villain, as surely it must as the truth about what he has done and has happened on his watch continues to intrude into the public awareness. Can't they imagine their grandkids asking: and what did you do then Grandad? and having to answer: I was falling over myself trying not to take a stand and hoping that no one would notice me lest they think less of me.

Well, I think less of them... now. Come on people, do yourselves proud!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home